They came together beautifully. And I love them!
I followed all the instructions in Polly's tutorial, and used a bit of wood filler too, to even out some of the imperfections in the wood.
I primed each one, and for paint I used some pure white door and trim paint we have left over from, well, doors and trim. Neither of the kids' rooms are really decorated at all, and these will match anything we do. But you could easily paint them any color.
I used our electronic stud finder to locate studs in the walls, then pre-drilled, and attached them to the wall with 2 1/2 inch screws. The drill slipped a couple of times, so I have little gouges in 2 of the shelves that I can fill and paint later if I want...though really, they're always going to be covered by books.
And I have to show you my 5-year-old's blankets. She's had them since she was a baby, and by the time she was 1, they had specific locations. The pink on on her left side, and the purple one on the right. She's also named them. "Purple" and "Pink" :)