Better Mom Day 28: Mom Time (and Our New Shed) | Crafting in the Rain
.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Better Mom Day 28: Mom Time (and Our New Shed)

If you're new to the 31 day series, over 1200 bloggers have chosen a theme they want to write about every day in October ranging from food or fashion to faith or fabric.  See the whole list at The Nester.  I decided to focus on trying to be a better mom, and you can see my first post here.

Day 28: Mom Time
This "Mom Time" is not the same as last week when I talked about taking time for myself.  This is what the kids call it, because they get to spend time with mom.  I set a timer for 30 minutes and each kid gets my undivided attention for their 30 minutes.  Then the timer starts over and it's someone else's turn.

Today Asher and I made tunnels for his train set up (I cut holes out of Costco-sized cereal boxes)  Meagan and I made an origami goat and painted her nails, and Emily and I made an origami guinea pig...after looking at and discussing the other suggestions on her list she'd made.  We tried stringing macaroni first, but our noodles were just too small.  I may need to buy some larger ones just so I'm prepared for next time :)

And just for fun, why don't I show you all about our shed we built this summer that I never posted about.  This house didn't have a shed when we moved in.  In those 3 years, I've been able to park in the garage for about 3 months.  As soon as we'd clear out enough to pull in, we'd start another project in the house that would need work space in the garage, or new tools, or just a place to store things like new windows or toilets.


But we finally said this is the year!  My husband bought a book, read tons of stuff online, sketched out his own plan, made two trips to the lumber yard (and several more to Home Depot) for all the supplies.



We leveled, measured, cut, measured and cut some more, hammered, drilled, built trusses, raised walls (well, I helped with one--the others were all too heavy and we had to get help from other people) waited for it to stop raining, painted, and finally put the roof on.  The whole thing took weeks, but we did a lot of it ourselves, and that was really cool.

I finally touched up all the paint back in September, and finally took pictures of the end result.



It still needs a little work inside...some organizing.  But at least we have a dry place to store hay for our goats!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment